Look How We’ve Grown!
Summary of Program
Many UVa service employees are refugees and immigrants who have recently resettled in Charlottesville to make a better life for themselves. VISAS Volunteers have an opportunity to welcome these newcomers and to help them improve their English and literacy skills. Training and supervision is provided for volunteers who meet weekly with learners, individualizing instruction within a larger group workshop setting during workers’ breaks. Native-like fluency in English is required in order to apply for this position.
- Be a native speaker of English
- Able to meet and work with UVA Facilities employees from a variety of countries on a regular, scheduled basis
- Meet in the Language Commons, New Cabell suite 298
General Time Requirements:
- How often? Once per week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- How long? 1:30-2:30PM (volunteers are expected to arrive 15 minutes before participants to prepare and stay 15 minutes after to debrief with program coordinators)
- Work with UVa service employees to help them practice English language and literacy skills to meet their own language goals
- Provide individualized instruction within a larger group workshop setting
- Attend training sessions led by our program coordinators to learn and understand ESL teaching and learning techniques
You must be logged in to post a comment.